Searching for details:
Author of this page will appreciate comments, corrections and imagery related to the subject. Please contact Anatoly Zak.
The R-5 medium range rocket, became the first "strategic" missile in the Soviet fleet, capable of flying beyond 1,000-kilometer range and carrying nuclear warhead.
R-5 tech dossier:
The R-5 missile started at Sergei Korolev's OKB-1, as an intermediate step in development of more ambitious R-3 project.
Active phase of the R-5 development fell on 1952. A single-stage missile was designed as a 20-meter tall cylinder instead of cigar-like shape common for previous A-4-derived vehicles. For the first time, both fuel and oxidizer tanks welded of light aluminum and magnesium alloys were made as monocoque structures yielding great weight savings. The riveting was used for the assembly of the tail section made of dural and aluminum.
The tail section also carried short triangular fins with wind rudders instead of bulky A-4-derived stabilizers of the R-1 and 2. Still, resemblance to the A-4 has been retained in the propulsion unit.
The R-5 was powered by a single A-4-derived engine, developed in OKB-456 in Khimki under designation RD-103. It used a 92-percent mix of alcohol with water as a fuel and liquid oxygen as an oxidizer and yielded trust of 43.8 tons. Comparing with the A-4 engine, RD-103 featured a number of improvements including better cooling system for the combustion chamber and introduction of automated trust control. Solid catalizator was used for decay of hydrogen peroxide in the gas generator, which provided hot gas to drive the turbopump on the propellant line. The centrifugal pump was used to drive the hydrogen peroxide into the gas generator. Elastic fuel lines were also used for the first time.
The R-5 flight control system included aerodynamic and gas rudders, which prevented the rocket from rolling about its main axis. After the engine cutoff, the stabilization would be still maintained using the oxygen gas which during the active flight served for pressurization of the oxidizer tank. To achieve this, the pressurization gas was directed into the system of nozzles placed in the conical section, connecting the warhead with the rest of the rocket body.
Weighing 28,570 kg at launch, the R-5 was able to reach a 1,200-km distance becoming first "strategic" missile in the Soviet arsenal.
One version of the R-5 was designed to be equipped with two or four strap-on warheads attached to the middle section of the vehicle.
The missile testing had started in Kapustin Yar on March 15, 1953. One of the problems testing crews faced at the time in Kapustin Yar was a fast-growing population of rats. Some even managed to snick into missile interiors, damaging wiring and other elements. In addition to repairing storage buildings, the range personnel started adopting cats, who eventually helped repulse the "invasion."
The R-5M missile in flight. Credit: Energomash
The R-5M missile on the launch pad. Credit: Energomash
Pre-launch processing of the R-5 missile in Kapustin Yar. Credit: Energomash
Scale model of the launch pad erector with the R-5 missile. Copyright © 2002 Anatoly Zak
Research version of the R-5 missile, known as V-5V. Copyright © 2001 by Anatoly Zak
The disected tail section of the R-5 missile. Copyright © 2000 by Anatoly Zak
The RD-103M engine, which powered the R-5 missile. Copyright © 2002 by Anatoly Zak