Site 41

Twitter

Site map

Site update log

About this site

About the author

Mailbox


SUPPORT THIS SITE!


Searching for details:

The author of this page will appreciate comments, corrections and imagery related to the subject. Please contact Anatoly Zak.


Site 41

Above: A mosaic of satellite images showing Site 41 in Plesetsk. Credit: Google Earth


MEDIA ARCHIVE

Pad

A launch pad for the R-7-based launch vehicles in Plesetsk.


 

 

Previous chapter: Origin of launch facilities for R-7 rockets in Plesetsk

The construction of the original launch pad in Plesetsk known as (Pad No. 1 or SK-1) was completed by the end of 1959. At the time, the R-7 ICBM was still in development and, as a result, the launch hardware had to be constantly tuned up in the course of construction, to reflect changes introduced into the missile. Still, benefiting from the experience in Tyuratam, the first pad in Plesetsk required 800,000 tons less Earth moving and 14,000 cubic meters less concrete work.

Bookmark and Share

 

Pad 1

After a replacement of the original launch structures started on March 19, 1965, Pad No. 1 (SK-1) hosted first real launches from Plesetsk, sending an R-7 ballistic missile on a suborbital trajectory toward the Kamchatka Peninsula on Dec. 14.

The first orbital mission originating from Plesetsk also lifted off from Pad No. 1 on March 17, 1966. Until 1968, the launch pad No. 1 and its personnel supported both ICBM operations and space missions.

On Sept. 30, 1972, the first Molniya-2 satellite was launched from Pad 1 and from March 1973, Soyuz-U rockets were prepared for launch here. The launch vehicle carrying Bion satellite lifted off on October 31.

In 1977, the SK-1 underwent renovations, with all space launches transferred to Pads 3 and 4. Repairs were continuing as late as April 1978.

On May 15, 1982, a Soyuz-U rocket failed less than half a minute after a liftoff from the pad and crashed apparently around 140 meters northeast of the pad.

A total of 310 launches (319 according to another source) originated from Pad No. 1, however it was dismantled after the last launch on Sept. 15, 1989.

In June 2013, the official newspaper of the Russian Ministry of Defense reported that "infrastructure for testing of light and heavy Angara rockets was under development at Site 41. (654)

 

Next chapter: Site 16

Bookmark and Share

 

APPENDIX

Launch facilities for space vehicles based on the R-7 ballistic missile:

Site No.
Launch complex, SK
Battle station No.
Military unit No. (V/Ch)
Operational date
First R-7A launch
First orbital launch
Notes
41
SK-1 (17P32-1)
42
13973
1959 December
1965 Dec. 14
1966 March 17
Retired on Sept. 15, 1989, and dismantled after 310 or 319 launches)

Page author: Anatoly Zak

Last update: December 9, 2014

All rights reserved

to spacecraft home to Application satellites to Communications satellites centers to Plesetsk